DRZ 400 Touring
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: DRZ 400 Touring

DRZ 400 Touring 3 years, 11 months ago #495

• andre
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi All

Was wanting to get some info on luggage options for my bike. Anyone have plans or pics of luggage racks that work well. Also wouls appreciate some info on changing the gearing for cruising. What sprocket changes could anyone suggest.

Thanks
Andre
LIve in South Africa. Small town called Nieu Bethesda. Have my own Microbrewery and make cheese. farm with Milk goats and cows. Have a restaurant serving my cheeses etc. Situated in an area called the Great Karoo. Pleny of dirt roads and mountains. Free beer for anyone riding a DRZ400.

Re:DRZ 400 Touring 3 years, 11 months ago #496

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi Andre if your riding an SM or a S model ...14 front and 39 rear will have you purring along at 100 klm.......The E model seems to be slightly different ...about a 14 front and 41 rear will get about the same result ....As for the rack ??.....Work out what you want to carry first ... then go looking for the right one ....and always allow for a bit extra ....good luck ...

Re:DRZ 400 Touring 3 years, 11 months ago #497

• andre
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Wayno
How would a 15 front 44 rear work. A Suzuki dealer told me the chain would rub against the casing if a 15 front sprocket was used. I have seen this combination mentioned elsewhere on the net and no mention of it not fitting the casing.

Thanks
Andre
LIve in South Africa. Small town called Nieu Bethesda. Have my own Microbrewery and make cheese. farm with Milk goats and cows. Have a restaurant serving my cheeses etc. Situated in an area called the Great Karoo. Pleny of dirt roads and mountains. Free beer for anyone riding a DRZ400.

Re:DRZ 400 Touring 3 years, 11 months ago #498

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
Your right Andre ..ive read that guys put the 15 tooth sprocket on the front as well ....They usaully talk about having to cut away part of the rubber that wraps around the swing arm....I did buy a 15 tooth sprocket ?.. lined it up ...didnt actually put it on ....but i didnt like the look of the fit ....Having said that one would think that companys wouldnt make them if it didnt work ???.....I just decided not to do it ...Im interested in where you plan to tour and how long your trip is..... also theres a couple of pics in the photo gallery of racks but there more purpuse built for what i like to carry

Re:DRZ 400 Touring 3 years, 11 months ago #499

• Krusty
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Banana Brigade
Have a look at this link for a video on the Wolfman Enduro series luggage.. Great bit of gear.. I'm using it for a trip out to Cameron's Corner in October..

I spent some time awhile back reading into gearing and its effects and performance for the bike and motor.. I know some think it is as simple as rear divided by front but it is really not.. You have to consider MP/RPM which equals Maximum Power RPM.. The level of RPM you get maximum power from the motor.. It must be considered when discussing gearing.. You must also consider primary drive ratios.. The DRZ400E (S and other models are different) is 2.96 and MP/RPM is around 7600 RPM.. 1st through 5th gears ratio is important too.. I believe the Rev limiter kicks in around 10,000 RPM..

I don't like reving my motor while it is screaming at 150 kph.. I wanted a sweet spot of 115-120 kph and minimal motor stress..

I understand Max Power = Maximum and you wont get any more power after this point but just more engine stress..

Stock 14 - 47

MP/RPM top Speed 1st gear = 42.7 KPH
MP/RPM top Speed 2nd gear = 56.3 KPH
MP/RPM top Speed 3rd gear = 71.0 KPH
MP/RPM top Speed 4th gear = 89.5 KPH
MP/RPM top Speed 5th gear = 113.1 KPH

My Gearing 15 - 44

MP/RPM top Speed 1st gear = 48.9 KPH
MP/RPM top Speed 2nd gear = 64.5 KPH
MP/RPM top Speed 3rd gear = 81.3 KPH
MP/RPM top Speed 4th gear = 102.4 KPH
MP/RPM top Speed 5th gear = 129.4 KPH

The 15 will fit fine and it will be better for your chain life.. I grounded my case saver a slight amount.. When I put the plastic cover on, it rubbed ever so slightly.. Put bike on stand, started, put in first, let run for 2-3 minutes, no more grinding on plastic..

Cheers...

Re:DRZ 400 Touring 3 years, 11 months ago #500

• andre
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Wayno
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try a 15/44 combination. Will let you know how it goes.
I live in South Africa and am planning a trip through an area callrd the Baviaanskloof. This website has a link detailing the area www.flamesonmytank.co.za Quite a nice site for general touring info etc.

Cheers

Re:DRZ 400 Touring 3 years, 11 months ago #501

• wayno
  • Platinum Boarder
No worries Andre glad to be of some help but i think Krusty has the sprocket details coverd very well ....Good luck on the trip .... I might just drag out that 15 tooth sprocket ....It should save me taking a couple of links out of the chain ... cheers ...

Re:DRZ 400 Touring 3 years, 3 months ago #1615

• Leahcim
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi there guys,
Just thought I would share some mods I made to my bike.

15 tooth at the front, just had to grind the guard a little. Ok on the road, still good off road.
Front screen by www.screensforbikes.com, makes a big difference over 80km/h.
Whipps rear rack, can't hold a lot of weight, however very useful.
Andyz side racks, expensive, easy to install, keeps the bags off the plastics and safe.
Andyz bags, excellent, easy to use, holds heaps of gear.
Heated grips, by Ballards, easy to install, problem is one side is a lot warmer than the other.

I am trying to balance keeping it simple and making sure the job is done right.
I like the idea it takes less than than an hour to transform the bike from trail to tourer.

My biggest problem is the front end seems to be out of balance, (I have balanced the front wheel) this makes it hard to ride for long distances on the freeway.

I hope this helps.

P3052488.JPG
P3052491.JPG

Re:DRZ 400 Touring 3 years, 3 months ago #1616

• mudrox
  • Fresh Boarder
I put a 15 front sprocket on my E model and the chain rubbed on the spacer, bought an SM case saver spacer and no problems, or as said in earlier reply you can grind it. (I guess I'm just lazy). My gearing now is 15/41 for the road.

Re:DRZ 400 Touring 3 years, 3 months ago #1620

• xrman
  • Gold Boarder
I have modified my DRZ400 for touring.

To date:
Mitas E09 tyres ( just fitted)
15 Front sprocket seemed to fit OK ( 15/44 sits on 100 kph OK, but for long trips 41 rear would make sense)
Eagle screen 400 MM
Dirtbagz minimal frame to hold panniers away from wheel ( cheaper than Andy strapz). the bags do rest against the side covers.
Steel pony panniers ( excellent fit and quality)

Next: wider softer seat foam
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.54 seconds